2007-10-28

Remembering Papa

It was brought up yesterday by Melanie and Tita Evie that Papa was missed. It prompted me then to ask them to share a story about Papa. Instead, Melanie thought it better that I solicit from all of you to either post or comment a favorite story or memory of Papa. I'll be expecting those posts.

For me, it's difficult to recall with the detail needed to retell a specific story about Papa. I don't know if it's simply the passing of time that fades my memory or the more bothersome idea that memorable events with him merely didn't even occur.

Notwithstanding, I can remember an oft said phrase of Papa's, "Nothing doing." This phrase would oftentimes be said while he watched the Dodgers. He would say, "Nothing doing Dodgers," damn near every time they failed to score in an inning. He would say it in such a way that it was generally expected that a MLB team was to score every single inning and that the Dodgers let him down every time they didn't. He would do the same thing with the Lakers when they didn't score on every possession. And I remember how it would greatly annoy me to no end. I don't know if I was annoyed because as a youthful fan I took any perceived slights against my teams personally; or maybe I thought it showed he didn't quite understand the game fully; or perhaps him saying, "Nothing doing Dodgers," only highlighted how terrible they were doing; but at times it would get so annoying that I would have to leave the room and stop watching with him.

So come to think of it, Papa was a lot more annoying than I wish to remember him.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



10 comments: to “ Remembering Papa


  •  

    I remember him catching me try to set fire to a piece of paper in the downstairs sink.

  • Anonymous

     

    So I guess we should thank Papa for preventing your career as an arsonist?


  •  

    I suppose so


  •  

    Whenever I think of Papa what come to my mind is his orange car that sounded like a bird churping when you put it in reverse.
    I also remember Papa asking for cigarrette money because Mama wouldn't give him any.
    But the thing that stands out about Papa to me was his tattoo and his smile.


  •  

    I remember that orange car as well... Plus papa being everyone's personal chauffer. How he would drop me roland and mel at Pinecrest and if we left early enough we got to drop by "Stop and Go". Then when he picked us up he would be there 30 min prior to the bell ringing. If I wanted to go to the mall he would take me and wait in the car. Can't forget the liquer store right on mason and lassen, the worker knew papa all to well that when he sent me in there they knew to get his dollar quick pick ready. Lastly papa's famous quote "ponyeta" however you spell that....


  •  

    This comment has been removed by the author.


  •  

    Okay the orange car, classic. Also, with the tweet tweet tweet noise, unforgetable. I remember papa with the gangster lady tatto,with the don't fuck with me grin, and the loud snoring that you could hear even from outside the house. How he would hock huge nuggies like crazy through his nose. One great times is when papa took me to get a birthday present and he brought me to a pet shot to get me a parakeet. He would always be there to drive me to school and pick me up every school day without having me wait for him at all. He would joke around all the time, and I miss that laugh of his. I remember when papa and his friends brought home two puppies to mamas house and I was playing with both of them that day. Papa and his friends stayed up that night. I woke up the next morning only to find one puppie in the backyard. Poor Poor puppie haha. My dad saved the last pup, DOITCH, and raised him till he had tita Malou take care of him because mama didn't want any dogs around the house. However, despite how tough he could be when I gotscolded, he was always the big loving papa bear to me.


  •  

    I remember one christmas at EJ's house one of the aunt's hid money around the house and all of the cousins had to find it. No one could find it, but then Papa called me over and told me that the money was hidden in his pocket.
    I also remember that one time I told Papa that I would be getting out of school late because I had to do something after school probably detention. I guess it took longer than expected because when I was walking up to the car Papa was honking like crazy. Of course he yelled at me for awhile, probably the whole ride back to Mamas house.
    I remember how we used to beg Papa to take us to get French Fries from Dandy's.
    Other than bits and pieces I don't really remember any of his tattoos or anything like that.

  • Anonymous

     

    The orange car was a Datsun. I also remember him driving a black Mazda and an old Benz. Anyone remember specifically what models and year they were?

    Also, what exactly was Papa's tattoo? Weren't there words also inscribed?


  •  

    Yeah there were words on him. I remember the lady, a face picture, and an anchor. I don't remember if there were anymore on him. Even though he has been gone for how many years, I still feel his energy around me and know that he is looking after all of us from a distance. Wish he could still be here to share more laughs and memories. I feel guilty sometimes for not visiting him as often as I should be because he is just a few minutes away. I will always make sure he is never forgotten in my heart.